Monday, February 2, 2009

FIAE Chapter 2: Mastery

Chapter 2 of FIAE is about mastery and what constitutes mastery of a subject. I learned that mastery can be defined many different ways by many different teachers. It seems the best way to decide if a student has mastered the material is to look at the standards or goals that the teacher set at the beginning of the lesson or unit. It is also good to match the assessment to the goal. This affects me in that this means I will have to constantly redefine what I think it means for a student to master my subject. It affects my classroom because I need to be clear with my students about what is expected of them. If I am expecting them to master a subject they and I, should know what that looks like. That way they will know what they are working for and where their grade comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment